Go to contents


Pyongyang blackmails Washington with nuclear attacks

Posted July. 29, 2014 06:46,   

Updated January. 01, 1970 09:00


A top-ranking North Korean military official said in a military event on Sunday, the 61st anniversary of an armistice, that North Korea may attempt a nuclear attack (to the U.S.) for its survival.

Hwang Pyong So, the North Korean military politburo chief, said in a speech for the event held in front of the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun, “If the U.S. threatens our (North Korean) autonomy and survival with a nuclear aircraft carrier and nuclear strikes, our military will launch nuclear rockets to the White House and the Pentagon, the center of evil, the U.S. military bases in the Pacific and large U.S. cities,” according to the Rodong Sinmun, North Korea’s mouthpiece, on Monday.

It was not North Korea’s first comment targeting the U.S. but was unusual in that a high-level North Korean figure blackmailed the U.S. straightforwardly. The event was participated by Ri Yong Gil, the chief of general staff, and Hyun Young Chul, the defense minister, but not by the reclusive country’s leader Kim Jong Un.

In response to U.N. Security Council sanctions against North Korea, the North Korean Defense Committee issued a statement in Jan. last year, “Our satellites and long-range missiles to be launched and our high-level nuclear tests to be conducted will target the U.S. in an all-out war.”

A government source cautiously said, “(The recent comment) is for domestic purposes as it was released on Rodong Sinmun and was a demagogic statement made in a military resolution event.”