U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said he was “deeply moved and deeply honored to be able to be there when we bring our boys home,” in an interview with Fox News Sunday (local time), referring to the remains of American soldiers killed in the Korean War recently returned from North Korea as a part of the agreement made between President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at their historic meeting in June. The remains of 55 U.S. servicemen will be flown to Hickam Air Force Base in Hawaii and honored at a ceremony set to be held on Wednesday with Vice President Pence in attendance.
In the interview, Pence mentioned the fact that his father also fought in the Korean War, and showed special affection for the repatriation of the remains. “My dad was in the U.S. Army. He fought in combat in the Korean War. He fought on Pork Chop Hill and some of the legendary battles that took place there,” he said. “He raised us to understand that he always thought that the heroes of the Korean War were the ones who didn’t get to come home.” Mike Pence’s father, Edward Pence, fought for the Korean War from 1952 to 1953, and received a Bronze Star for his service. “President Trump has asked me to do many things on his behalf as vice president, but, frankly, I’ve never been more humbled or more honored to be asked to represent him as the remains of American heroes from the Korean War arrive back on American soil.”
Pence attended a wreath-laying ceremony at the Korean War Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C. back in June last year when South Korean President Moon Jae-in visited the United States. His itinerary in South Korea in April 2017 also included a visit to the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ).
“The fact that this president, sitting down with Kim Jong Un to negotiate the complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, also had our fallen heroes on his heart should tell you everything you need to know about President Donald Trump,” Pence added.
Gi-Jae Han email@example.com